Sunday, September 22, 2002

So, yesterday saw the norf, the poade and the deadman see The Music @ the Birmingham Academy. The verdict? One for, two against. I was the most against, viewing them as the vainglorious heirs to the ignoble crowns of bands like Kula Shaker and Toploader. Saying things like that led to me being justifiably ridiculed for turning into Tom Paulin (the "useful idiot") - but I like arguing and I like the sound of my own voice, so that didn't shut me up. The support, provided by The Rain Band , was much better, and great value for money given the breadth and variety of musical references they employed. One song they'd sound like the Roses, the next Depeche Mode. 100% Manc attitude too.

Travel to and from Wolverhampton was lengthy because of the work on the West Coast line. I got stuck in Stafford for an hour and a half, which is a quaint and quiet town when it's busy and therefore utterly dead on a Sunday. I wandered around and eventually found myself at a Wimpy. Wimpy to me has always meant a cheap, nasty British shit hole of a burger bar with poor food and poor service, cos that's what it was always like as a kid. But times have changed, and lo and behold the service is great and...

They do a Quorn Burger!!



...and it's delicious!! God be praised there's a fastfood joint that's finally doing it. Sadly, it's difficult to find a Wimpy bar anywhere (unless you feel like going bowling), so that's probably my first and last Wimpy Quorn burger. Wave bye bye...

No comments: